Wednesday 29 October 2014

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey #ReadingCram

So today I finished this book. I. Loved. It.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)


The 5th wave is something special, if not necessarily very original. It's another one of those YA apocalyptic novels, but the way the author mixes romance with action and logic is mesmerising..

What I loved most is how contemplative I became while reading. Throughout the whole book I was considering worst-case scenarios. And just as the main character; I trusted no one.

It's hard to write a review about this book because there really isn't much to say. The characters were great. Some grow in character as the story progresses, some don't. But all of them, yes even the secondary characters, have their own personalities and stick to them.

Wait, wait. There was this one thing that did bother me. Where were the aliens? C'mon guys. A little more action on their part would be appreciated! The lack of actual aliens was a bit disappointing.

And don't get me started on the writing. Metaphors packed with sarcasm. I loved it.

The plot was... I don't even know. The author leaves you guessing until the last few chapters about basically everything.

This review is pathetic. I haven't said anything... This is what a good novel does to me. My inner critic just died because there's nothing to criticise!

 5 out of 5.

 Why? Because this book achieved exactly what it was trying to achieve. It wanted you to think, to be paranoid, to have a laugh when the characters made sarcastic comments. This novel makes you love every character, and makes you question the intentions of pretty much...well, everyone. Including the characters you love.

Just go and read it, because this review is a mess and you probably don't even understand what I'm talking about. (For reviewers that did a MUCH better job at speaking of this book and share my opinions click this or this)

Lots of Luck,
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment